CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

New computer!!!!!!!

I HAVE A NEW LAPTOP!!!!!!

I'm soooo excited, if you haven't noticed. I have never had a new computer before, they have always been hand-me-downs that are usually operating on systems from about 3yrs back.

Well, tonight we went to Best Buy to check them out and get an idea of what we needed to save for. But when it came time to leave, John whipped in at the checkout line and we took one home. (thank you tax return)

I was shocked, as well as sick to my stomach, and incredibly excited. John is such a great guy. He said he wanted to make sure I was all ready to go back to school.

Yes, you read that right...school! I will be starting back this fall. I'm absolutely terrified! I have plans of meeting with a counselor soon to see where I stand on my degree. When I stopped, I was one year and student teaching away from Education Degree. I'm sure so many state requirements have changed that it will be like starting over. Which if so is fine because teaching is not what I want to do-REALLY.

I love being in the classroom, but absolutely fell in love with social work. While going to school, I took a job at North Texas Youth Connection (formerly juvenile alternative center) I worked with AT RISK teens and their families in the STAR Program.

My job was to field calls of families with disputes or those that were court ordered to our center to help them resolve family issues. I would listen to them and their issues as a family, then interview them individually. After doing a brief assessment, I would set them up with counseling and enroll them into life skill classes: anger management, resolving conflict peacefully, drug abuse...etc.

After they had completed their required time, I would assess the counselor's notes and consult with them to see if sessions needed to be continued or not.

We also handled the suicide hotline and worked in the shelter with the foster children. And since we were a 'safe place' also counseled runaways. I'm glad to hear that they have since opened a transitional living place for foster children, but I hope to one day open a series of my own.
Can you imagine, for whatever reason, you are removed from your family at an older age. No one wants to adopt you because of your 'baggage' and most people want a baby. So you bounce around from foster home or shelter till at 18 when you age out and are expected to take care of yourself?!!! How scary.

More than anything, I want a place for them to go from 18-21. During this time, they will have house parents, be expected to get a job while learning basic skills such as laundry, cleaning, budgeting, banking and social skills. How much more of a chance in life would these kids have. That is my true goal and what I want to do with my life.

Which brings me back to the topic of school! If I have to start over basically, then I will change to social services. But if not I'll finish my education degree and hopefully get some type of certifications that can transfer me over into that area. Who knows how it will all work out, but having a new laptop has got me one step closer to getting there :)

3 comments:

Tonya

That is exciting!!! So happy for you. It's never too late to go back to school. It sounds like you have some good goals to work toward.

Amanda @ Life in bloom

OMG!!! I am so happy for you, what an exciting chapter you're starting! Are you going to SOSU again? If so, I'll have to come meet you on campus sometime!

Kisha

So glad you got your laptop! Yay! I'm starting back this Fall too so we can help each other out, even if it's just motivation.

Post a Comment

Virtual HIGH FIVE for leaving me a comment! I get all excited when I see them, like gettin something in the mail that isn't junk. They seriously make my day!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...